Monday, July 2, 2012

Keep Trying

      You can see by the very vivid watermark that I am "thinking positive."  I had the opportunity to attend the Writers & Illustrators For Young Readers Conference (WIFYR) for the first time this June in Sandy, Utah.  I attended the Children's Illustrating class taught by Julie Olson.  She is a very talented illustrator and young mother of four.  It is amazing that she has been able to have a successful illustrating career and be a stay-at-home mom.  Right after graduating from BYU she took her portfolio to book editors in New York-brave girl- and it paid off. Some of her books are Dear Cinderella, Tickle, Tickle, Itch, Twitch and the The Happiest Mommy Ever.  She has also written and illustrated a darling ebook titled, Princesses,Princesses, Princesses (only 2.99).  She was very helpful and encouraging.  I also enjoyed listening to children's book editors and agents, learning about many aspects of the children's book business that I had never known before.  Fun stuff.  The best thing I learned was NEVER give up!  And I'll add...NEVER stop learning!
Julie Olson teaching her watercolor technique
Our group after taking Julie to lunch.

2 comments:

  1. I could that you are really passionate in what you are doing. I hope you continue to inspire others.

    study art abroad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Diane, for your kind words. It does make life more interesting.

    ReplyDelete