Sunday, August 12, 2012

No Fear!

Children's Friend illustration by Dilleen Marsh

Illustration by Dilleen Marsh
     When I receive my monthly Children's Friend (the LDS magazine for children) I quickly flip through to see the illustrations first.  Then I get out my reading glasses and look for the tiny writing that gives credit to the illustrator on each page.  For years I've been a huge fan of Dilleen Marsh's illustrations.  She has worked for the LDS Church magazines and has been art editor for the New Era (for LDS youth).  I was excited to discover that Dilleen now lives in Southern Utah.  It's been on the back of my mind for months.  I woke up a few days ago, overcame my fear, and decided to contact her.  I found her web page and left a message.  She called me that same day and instead of asking me to come to her, she came to me.  She looked at my work and now I'm going to be learning from her on a regular basis.  (Perhaps she could see that I really needed help!)  She is very warm and kind.  She not only has an amazing artistic talent but is remarkably wise and willing to share her knowledge. It's a dream come true!
     Dilleen is currently showing her work at Dixie College Sears' Gallery with three other artists.  Her oil paintings of our area are gorgeous and she has several illustrations from past church magazines on display.  The show runs through August so take the time to stop in before it closes.  
     Another art show not to be missed is at the St.George Temple visitors' center.  Julie Rogers' paintings of the Martin-Willie handcart company are an emotional and visual feast.  
     On my last visit with Dilleen we discussed "the precious decade" we will both soon enter.  At our age the next ten years will be important ones.  When a woman is trying to reinvent herself it's best to face it with no fear.

     "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."  2Timothy 1:7

No comments:

Post a Comment