Monday, February 20, 2012

Giving myself 1,000

My Jo
The first time I heard about the 10,000 hours rule was in a class taught by artist, Del Parson.  He said that it takes 10,000 hours of practice to mastery. It was brought to my attention again by one of my favorite children's book illustrators, Will Terry.  He quoted from the book, The Outliers,  it takes 10,000 hours of GOOD practice to master ANYTHING.  I decided I better read the book.  Sure enough, 10,000 hours.  Do I have 10,000 hours left?  Hopefully I do. What have I got to lose?  I am giving myself 1,000 hours, hence, 9,000 is going to be my lucky number.  I figure I've had at least that much practice in my almost 60 years. After all, I did get a degree in Art over 20 years ago.  What have I been doing since then?  Working, raising a family, becoming a grandmother, etc., etc.  I was definitely still very much a novice when I graduated.  So enough excuses, after today I am setting a goal for myself of 10 hours of drawing per week.  Not much, but I work full time at a job that pretty much zaps  all of my energy and strength.  10 hours per week, if I can do more, great! 

1 comment:

  1. You have always been an amazing talented artist!! I am excited to see more posts of your work! Your blog is my new "favorite" blog:)You are very inspiring my Dear Aunt Ester:)

    ReplyDelete