Thursday, February 23, 2012

Look Up!

A wise man said, "It is better to look up."  I agree.  I've spent too much time looking down and it is boring there- same old pity party. The last few years have brought some bumps in the road-BIG bumps.  I had "retired early"-actually resigned from my job at the library after 16 years.  I started working when my baby entered kindergarten and quit so I could help with her baby while she finished up her dental hygiene degree.  It wasn't a hard decision--things were going well.  I enjoyed five years of hanging out with my daughter and daughters-in-law,  helping with all the babies that were coming along, and taking too frequent trips to Target.  A grandma's dream.  I didn't want schedules, alarm clocks, or routines. Free at last!  I finally had the time to take those art classes from Del Parson that I had been wanting to...but I didn't, It had been too long, I was afraid to go back and face all of those young minds secretly thinking, "Why is that old lady in this class?"  The same thing I used to think.  But I found out that bumps bring blessings.  I was brought out of retirement.  I had to go back to work, and in order to do that I had to get college credits to renew my teaching certificate.  I signed up for computer classes and every class that Del Parson offered--Life drawing, portrait drawing, pastels, landscape painting and portrait painting.  My love for creating art was rekindled.  Though I had to return to work, now as a preschool teacher for Head Start, I've continued taking classes whenever I can. I did the illustration above for an Adobe Illustrator class taught by the irreverent, but knowledgeable, J Maxfield.

2 comments:

  1. Serious??? I had no idea Ester, that you had this love of art. I don't know how you did this picture, is it paint, or drawing, or what, IT IS BEAUTIFUL!!!!
    I love people who take BUMPS and turn them into BLESSINGS! Love your blog!
    Love, Karen Esplin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Karen, so sweet. This was done on the computer using Adobe Illustrator.

    ReplyDelete