Wednesday, February 22, 2012

My Art History part two

After the birth of my four children I had a burning desire to get a Bachelor's degree.  No four year programs available in my home town at the time.  What to do?  When my baby turned two, a neighboring college started offering an outreach program for elementary education.  Hmmm, I knew I couldn't handle being an elementary teacher, but library/media sounded like something I could enjoy.  I began taking classes with two friends from my neighborhood.  I could get the basics in the outreach program but I would eventually need to travel on campus for the  library/media endorsement.  I would also have to spend two summers away from my family to finish up requirements.  Hardest thing I ever did but it opened a door for me.  Since I was traveling anyway, why not take some art classes too?  I ended up discovering that an art major was available for only 60 hrs.  With classes I had taken previously and some correspondence courses I would be able to get my degree in art along with an elementary teaching certificate.  I loved taking illustration classes from Arlene Braithwaite and life drawing from Mark Bangerter.  One year just wasn't enough.  I wasn't an artist yet! Someone was still keeping essential 'art secrets' from me! I hadn't discovered the 10,000 hour rule- nothing takes the place of practice- not even a degree.   After I graduated I found myself in a middle school library--and lucky to be there.  Media jobs don't open up very often.  Even though I went to work kicking and screaming, I learned a lot, made great friends and enjoyed making library displays and bulletin boards--usually using someone else's artwork.  The 'art part' of me was once again pushed aside but not totally buried for almost 20 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment