Monday, March 5, 2012

The Drawing Room

"I have an idea," I told my husband.  "What?," eyes rolling--actually he was very supportive, he likes ideas that don't cost anything.  He even offered his expert interior design advice, "You can't do all that and keep four chairs in here."  So down went one chair and a small buffet, up came my IKEA drafting table and in went my easel.  My front living room has been transformed into my art studio.  It is the best room in the house.  It has two walls of big windows, North light, and a beautiful view of Pine Valley Mountain and the red rock hills beneath it.   We'll call it "the drawing room".  At first I thought we'd need to install a french door to enclose the space and keep  little fingers out.  But why would I want to keep them out?  Now I have a space to share my goals with my grandchildren. Their usual art space is the kitchen island, mine in a bedroom corner, the new space will be so much better.  Of course, I think all of my grandchildren are budding artists.  What child isn't when given encouragement, materials, space to work, and NOT a steady diet of coloring book pages?  I had a great time buying them beautiful art supplies with the understanding that they will take care of them, return them neatly to the assigned drawer and clean up after themselves.  All we need now are some reference pictures to inspire them. From the above photo you can see it is already a hit!  I overheard my little granddaughter ask her big sister, "Is grandma an artist?"  I didn't hear her sister's reply but I answered, "I'm trying to be."

No comments:

Post a Comment