Sunday, March 4, 2012

Turning Hearts

Malachai 4:6  And he (Elijah) shall turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse."


     This is a familiar scripture that I feel very passionately about.  During my "Golden Grandma" years (2004-2009) I was able to accomplish something I had wanted to do for a very long time.  I am a descendant of Mormon pioneers.  They joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in their European homelands.  Sometimes choosing faith over family, they left their homes to join the Saints in America and be led by a modern-day prophet. I feel especially close to one great-grandfather because he wrote of his experiences.  He left a great legacy of testimony and faith for his posterity.  For years I wanted to make his story into a children's picture book, hoping my grandchildren could be uplifted by his experiences and testimony.  I just didn't know how I could illustrate it, (this was during my artistic "dark ages").  I started praying daily about it and eventually I received inspiration--cut the pictures from scrapbook paper to look like an appliqued quilt.  I went to work and completed the book with the help of my daughter.  There are many more family stories I want to tell through picture books.  Now I wait until my summer vacation to work on these projects.  Last summer was devoted to a book for the Santa Clara Historical Society.  To celebrate the sesquicentennial year of the Swiss pioneers coming to settle Santa Clara, I wanted to write a history for children.  A beautiful quilt was being made for the same occasion by several local women.  Photographs of the quilt blocks were used for the illustrations and with the writing and editing help of Cindy Nicholls and other English teacher friends, the book was finished in time for the 2011 Swiss Days Celebration.


   Jimmy B. Parker, a supervisor of genealogical materials for the LDS Church said," Imagine the impact it would have on the lives of our family members if we taught them the great gospel principals...from personal family experiences, using them as a second witness to the same truths found in the standard works (scriptures). Imagine also the many times these sacred family records could be used in family home evenings and other teaching situations to personalize the gospel truths."
  
   I believe in the importance of "Turning Hearts!"  This is another goal I pray I can accomplish.

2 comments:

  1. You truly are an inspiration to all of us! I love this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Di, you are a sweetie.

    ReplyDelete